Reverse --store efficiently in command line?

I know I can use -d and --unwrap on .gpgs created with --store, but using either takes like 10 times the amount of time it took to --store the file. I feel like there should be a reverse of --store, but I can’t find how.

Hi @baeduk,

can you be more explicit about your use case with --store?

BTW, if you do not get a good answer here, another good place for in depth GnuPG questions is the gnupg-users@ mailinglist, see GnuPG - Mailing lists .

Regards,
Bernhard

If I run --store on a file, such as a.bin, it makes a a.bin.gpg very quickly. If I -d or --unwrap a.bin.gpg, it takes a lot longer. If a.bin is 1gb, for example, --store will take .7 seconds, but --unwrap or -d to take it back out takes like 30 seconds. I can do a similar thing with 7-Zip, where I can tell it to make an unencrypted, uncompressed .zip, then it will unwrap it just as fast as it made it. But GPG sits and works through the file for 10x longer than it takes to --store it in the first place.

To simplify: if you --store a file, how would you get the original file back out of the .gpg? I’m just checking if -d or --unwrap are not the right commands for undoing a --store file.

According to the manual and some poking in the code I think that “–decrypt” aka -d is the command to “un-store” a file. --unwrap is a special version that keeps the OpenPGP data structure.

At least I do not know any other command. Feel free to ask on gnupg-users@, if someone there knows more about this.