Outlook 2016 - Blank Signed and Encrypted emails

Using Outlook 2016 on a Windows 10 64 bit, when I receive or send to myself an email either signed or encrypted, I can see the ribbon or the lock but nothing is displayed on the body of the email.

I have the same behavior if I use the PGP/inline or not.

I have tried with and without S/MIME support. The email server is an Office365 account.

I’m using version 3.0.3, I had a previous version and it was working fine.

Have you seen this situation before?

Thanks in advance

I was able to find the solution. The antivirus solution was not letting the GpgOL to work. I disabled it and now it works fine.


thanks for your feedback here. I would be very interested in which Anti Virus solution you are using. We are collecting a list of incompatible Addons under https://wiki.gnupg.org/GpgOL/IncompatibleAddons and might spend some effort in the future to make GpgOL less affected by other addons.

Best Regards,

I too am having this issue with Outlook 2016. I have two different corporate accounts which are hosted by Office365. With one, I have to use Outlook 2010 and have no problems. With the other, I have Outlook 2016 and have issues reading signed/encrypted messages. To be able to read more than one message at a time, I have to switch to another folder and then back again for the message to be read properly. It is rather annoying.

This sounds annoying indeed. But my main development / test environment is Outlook 2016 and I don’t have such a problem. We also don’t have reports about this in our ticketing system.

Maybe there are other Addons active in the OL 2016? Could you try to disable all other COM addins except gpgol and check if the problem persists?

Some Addons are known to cause problems with GpgOL ( https://wiki.gnupg.org/GpgOL/IncompatibleAddons )

I don’t have any of add-ins mentioned in your list below, but there is an Adobe Acrobat PDF add-in that might be similar. I tried disabling the other add-ins, and it seems to be working fine now. I will do a process of elimination to see if I can determine which add-in is interfering.

Thank you!

It looks like the primary culprit is the Symantec Endpoint Protection Outlook Add-In in my case.


Thank you for testing it!

I’ve already tried to work around incompatibilities with other addins a bit for 3.1.0 but without much success. :-/
We would have to buy and test / check the behavior of any incompatible addin and even then we might not be able to fix it.

I’ll make a note of Symantec Endpoint protection in the wiki list.