GPG4Win 4.0 - Kleopatra - IPC Connect Call Failed


I installed one fresh copy of gpg4win and one upgrade from the previous version on two different Win10 PCs. In both cases, Kleopatra is not working and in file explorer, I get the message:

Can not connect to the GnuPG user interface (Kleopatra):
IPC connect call failed

In the case of the upgraded installation, the previous version was working fine.
Any ideas?

Hi Stratos,

does your Windows installation have a non-standard place for the Localappdata?

Can you try to start kleopatra from the command line, to see more?


Hi there Bernhard.

Thank you very much for your response!

To answer your questions:

  • The app data folder was in the roaming profile, not local.
  • Running Kleopatra from the windows command prompt did not produce any error messages.

In any case, I uninstalled the whole package, re-installed and rebooted, and it worked. This was in the computer that had the previous version installed and it was upgraded. Tomorrow I will try to do the same with the PC where it was fresh installed.

Thanks again,

Hi Stratos,
good to know that it worked now on the first machine.

Did you try reboot the machine after the upgrade?
(Upgrade should work.) Maybe there was an old version running als process.
But this wouldn’t match the case with the new installation.

Anyway, keep us posted.



finding this post, I have the same problem, but cannot resolve it by rebooting. Is there another way to change the path settings?

So I uninstalled the old version, rebooted the computer and installed the latest version. After that rebooted the Computer again. Did that several times and everytime I start Kleopatra it reports about not finding


, which however is located in appdata\Roaming\gnupg

Thanks for your help.


Hi Günter,
you probably have a different problem than Stratos, though some symptoms maybe similar.

It seems that some components do not agree with each other where to communicate. Either there is an old setting somewhere or it maybe a defect.

Could you check:

  • GnuPG,Gpg4win configuration files
  • registry
  • environment variables

to see if there are any traces about the location of the uiserver location?
(At least that would be my next idea to find out what is going on.)

Another idea could be to increase the verbosity and use a debuglog viewer or a redirection to a file to get more information about what kleopatra and other applications are doing.

Maybe you could see the access permissions on appdata\Roaming\gnupg
and try to move that directory or files away for a few tests.

(Some people created permission problems by running Kleopatra as Administrator, which should not be done.)

Anyway some more ideas could at


Hi Berhard,

in the folders

  • Program Files (x86)\GnuPG
  • Program Files (x86)\Gpg4win

I could not find any configuration files, that would contain any path settings.

Searching through the Registry for gnupg also did not result in any finding.

There are also no system variables set concerning the S.uiserver. The pathvariable contains in connection with GnuPg the entry:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Gpg4win..\GnuPG\bin

The NTFS permission for the gnug folder under %APPDATA% is full access for my user.

Hi Günter,
did you try to enable the Kleopatra debugging log?

And there is no firewall running either, right? (In the past some internal firewall port blocks could affect the interprocess communication of Kleopatra.)


Hi Bernhard,

there are a bunch of error messages, however, they don’t tell me much. Maybe they give you some information?

Concerning the Firewall, I was searching through the manual but maybe was looking at the wrong places. Is there some information about which ports need to be openened? Does the installation of Kleopatra do that or do I need to add those by hand? I was looking in the configuration of the windows defender firewall and there was no entry for Kleopatra.

The Windows Eventlog shows the following Error:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: kleopatra.exe, Version:, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: libKF5ConfigWidgets.dll, Version:, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x0002cce0
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x1480
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d812154ba84f1d
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files (x86)\Gpg4win\bin\kleopatra.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Program Files (x86)\Gpg4win\bin\libKF5ConfigWidgets.dll
Berichtskennung: 20f4a357-cc70-4fe4-8132-853ff2a6eb45
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets:
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

Attached is the logfile from Kleopatra.

I also attached a screenshot from the Testoutput with the wrong path.



Seems like the second attachment did not make it with the previous post.

kleo-log-normal.txt (17.3 KB)

Hi Günter,
there are a number of error message in the log which could be related to the problem, but it
is not clear.

The eventslog shows that some component crashed, if this is the case, it does not run properly and may cause other errors. So the next thing I would check is

kf.config.core: "KConfigIni: In file C:/Users/user1/AppData/Roaming/kleopatra/kleopatrarc, line 32: " “Invalid escape sequence "\ ".”

Check the contents of this file.
It should be okay to remove, so make a backup copy and remove it and try again to see if those messages change.



we have found an issue with special characters in usernames and so in the localappdata directory which could trigger a similar behavior. A fix will be in the next version of Kleopatra for the IPC Connect call failed.

The workaround for this would be to once create the directory %LOCALAPPDATA%\gnupg

The GnuPG Version this is fixed in is 2.2.34 and the next 2.3.x version.

Thanks Andre, that did it. Kleopatra starts now without Error.