GPG error: Can't update private git repo with pass

I recently created a private git repo for my password store on a virtual private server, using pass. I can pull and push with pass, but I when I attempt to insert, as in:

[user@archlinux ~]$ pass insert admin-meet
Enter password for admin-meet: 
Retype password for admin-meet: 
gpg: error retrieving 'git@test.example' via WKD: General error
gpg: git@test.example: skipped: General error
gpg: [stdin]: encryption failed: General error
Password encryption aborted.
[user@archlinux ~]$

I cannot add passwords to the store, nor to my local machine since creating the remote git repo.

Attempting to diagnose the issue with gpg -vv --auto-key- :

[user@archlinux ~]$ gpg -vv --auto-key-locate=clear,wkd,nodefault --locate-key git@test.example
gpg: enabled compatibility flags:
gpg: using pgp trust model
gpg: key 1234567890ABCDEF: accepted as trusted key
dgpg: error retrieving 'git@test.example' via WKD: General error
gpg: key "git@test.example" not found: No public key
[user@archlinux ~]$ gpg -vv --auto-key-locate=clear,wkd,nodefault --locate-key me@local.invalid
gpg: enabled compatibility flags:
gpg: using pgp trust model
gpg: key 1234567890ABCDEF: accepted as trusted key
gpg: error retrieving 'me@local.invalid' via WKD: No data
gpg: key "me@local.invalid" not found: No public key
[user@archlinux ~]$

I checked my SSH keys on both my local machine and my remote server. I routinely login as root with ssh root@test.example without any issue, and the SSH key for the git user is identical to that for the root user of test.example.

I’m trying to get my remote repo working so it can be synced with my local machine.

Hi @AKM256

so far I am not familiar with pass - ArchWiki so I do not know in detail how it is supposed to work. I wonder why the pubkey for git@test.example.org is sought. Am I right that this is a placeholder for a real email address and domain?
Not all email provider support WKD.

If this operation really needs the pubkey of this email address, you could try getting the pubkey via a different method and then import it into gpg.

If you want to debug the WKD request, you can get more debugging infos from dirmngr. Enable logging and debugging with “network” first, see TroubleShooting/DebugWithDirmngr - GnuPG wiki .

1 Like